I had a great time yesterday with Dawn Livera, the artist in residence at Leigh Square. She gave me just the right encouragement I needed to get started on my Schacht Cricket loom. I've had this loom for awhile but just never got brave enough to use it. I learned how to warp the loom and weave several different patterns. Dawn showed us many of her samples so now I can see there is a lot for me to explore. I continued to weave last night and today and am getting excited to see my piece when it comes off the loom.
I started with 110lb. cardstock for my background and sprayed Dylusions spray ink over the whole piece. Next I used some rubber stamps to create more layers. Finally I rubbed Black Soot Distress ink through a piece of drywall mesh. This was cut into ATCs and I glued on crochet circles and some imperfect buttons. These are now ready for the local Sept. monthly ATC swap.
I started out today watching Carolyn Dube's video and was inspired to have a little fun play. First I printed a face image from Tangie Baxter's 6 month loyalty bonus from the Art Journal Emporium subscription on to a book page. I painted the girl with Portfolio Pastels and water brushes. I touched up some of the lines with my brush pen and wrote over the word courage with the pen. My background is spray inks, these were too bright so I covered with a light coat of gesso. I glued the painted girl onto my journal page and did the arc shapes overlapping the book page by using acrylic paint on a cake tray and pressing it onto the page like a stamp. I finished the page with drywall tape liner used as a stencil with distressed ink.
This page blends with the previous page in that the background is the same pink acrylic paint. The full page image of a watch caught my attention while I was looking of images for the previous page. I did a torn edge on the page and glued it onto my page. Next I stenciled with the same stencil that I used for the sanding on the previous page using white acrylic paint. The ladies were stamped on pattern tissue, torn out and glued on the page. The right words finally came to me as I was finishing and I use computer generated text glued down and added a couple of pieces of pink washi tape continuing across to the facing page.
For this page I started with images from a magazine and used a Mary Beth Shaw Stencil Girl technique of placing the magazine paper over a stencil and sanding to create a pattern. The page is painted with pink and spring green acrylic and then stenciled with white acrylic. The magazine images was glued on the page and then the photo was also glued down and computer generated text was added. I finished up by adding a couple of pieces of washi tape to the juice photo.
I did this journal page a couple of days ago and am just getting it posted now. The concept started with this image from a picture frame and it just looked to good not to use. I like the images and especially like the sentiment "Love who you are..."
Next I found a collage image 1 from the June Art Journal Emporium which is part of the monthly subscription programe. I used a photo taken by my sister and cropped it and edited with PicMonkey. The background, text and photos were assembled digitally and printed with an inkjet printer on matt brochure paper. I tore an area to reveal the bird image and glued onto my journal page. I added torn tissue paper along the top and left edge of the page. I used some sequin waste and drywall tape as stencils with black soot Distress Ink. The finale step was to edge the page with black Conte a Paris pencil and blended with a water brush.
A few days ago I finally watched a video my friend posted a link to on facebook and then did my own very different version. I even took photos along the way so you can see the stages of my page. Here is the original video.
While I was away from home, what could be a better project to take along than newborn baby socks? A ball of sock yarn, double pointed needles makes for some quickly finished projects and plenty of yarn in a small space to keep me busy for awhile. I had the rib knit pair started before I left home, finished that pair and decided to try a pair without the ribbing on the leg.
Playing with my bird ideas again in my journal. This time I used a floral egg stamp for the bodies, then drew in the details. This birds were painted with Graphitint and the background is again the Lyra Aquerelle crayons and blended with the water brush. This was all done on book page and glued into the journal.
Since my Mom isn't connected I can go ahead and post the card I made yesterday. I'll be able to deliver it to her in person this year. For this card I dug into my old untraded ATCs and glued a suitable one to some textured navy cardstock and glued that on the front of a blank greeting card. The inside is created digitally. The envelope is made from scrapbook paper.